This Other Transformers Studio Series 57 Offroad Bumblebee is also Virtually Perfect



More Bee! Where the previous Bumblebee figure I've covered mimics his look from the 2007-2017 Transformers movie franchise, this wee Bee here all about the standalone, awesomer 2018 Transformers: Bumblebee movie.

That movie takes place in 1987 and our tiny yellow bot friend takes on 3 vehicle modes: a Cybertronian sport coupe, an old timey Jeep, and a Volkswagen Beetle. That's a lot, but stay with me. I think the product placement concerning his Jeep mode is a fun topic for understanding Hasbro's grotesque need to sell as many toys as possible (AMTAP), especially considering he's in the Jeep mode for less than a minute, but I'll dive into that another time. 

What's important now is that Hasbro's AMTAP goals has resulted in some truly trashy toys but LO AND BEHOLD OFFROAD BUMBLEBEE IS FIRE.

Yeah, this figure based on a brief product placement scene is arguably the best Bumblebee movie toy so far.

FIIIIIIRE


This dude looks almost exactly as he did on screen, more so than my previous top Studio Series toy, Studio Series 49 Bumblebee. Jeep Bee has zero back kibble in that no vehicle mode parts look tacked on in robot mode. Areas like his forearms, calves, and his back are also free from the typical piling of vehicle mode panels and parts. I especially appreciate how the wheel placement on his back is screen accurate, something that the multitude of movie Bee toys have been unable to achieve.



Of course, because this is a toy replicating some of the most complicated Transformers designs we've seen, there Jeep mode doors lay against his calves, the back of his thighs include folded up car seats, and his physical proportions aren't an exact match to his movie-self. Pointing this out feels like a disservice, but I think it's important to acknowledge toy design is constantly improving and only does so when internet dorks acknowledge such small details.

Anyway, Jeep Bumblebee's robot mode is still as good as it gets.


Articulation includes the typical joints you expect, with the increasingly more common and much appreciated waist swivel making an appearance. Goody! All joints are welcomed joints, but the utility you can get out of a waist swivel is on a magnitude only paralleled by ankle tilting joints. Oh, this Bee has those as well. FIRE I said, FIRE.


Getting this Bee into vehicle mode is a piece of cake and quite fun. If you don't own roof-less Transformers that also include things like the seats and steering wheel, you'll go bananas for just how darn everything fits together. Moreover, he's a cute old Jeep and I just wanna hug him.



I don't know what is, but seeing the seats, steering wheel, the dash, and the awesome spare wheel and jerry can on his tailgate just melts my heart. Thanks, Jeep. Is there anything at all wrong with this toy?!

Also, what's up, Jeep? I've said Jeep, like, 13 times now. Sponsor me, we both know you're cheap. Jeep Jeep Jeep. 15 times.

I Said Virtually Perfect

I'm angry that I want to be fair, but here goes: His robot mode arms are visible form the sides of the Jeep in his vehicle mode. Moving on. 

You should buy this toy. No, get two and make one into Cliffjumper. That said, I'm not finding this version of Bumblebee in stores anymore. He's newer than the 2007 Camaro Bee I reviewed but, apparently, vastly more popular. If you want him, I suggest heading online to shop for him. And finally, don't forget, Jeep I'm awaiting your phone call. 

Fun Facts
  • This figure is compatible with the blade weapon from the first Studio Series Bumblebee Movie Bumblebee. 
  • Studio Series figures are designed to scale with each other in robot mode but not necessarily in vehicle mode. Thus he looks huge compared to his other forms.
  • This is the best Bee, ya'll. Have I said that yet?

Comments